Frequently Asked Questions
• Who can use the Medical Library?
The Medical Library is open to all who seek information and resources regarding medical science. In addition, if you are a faculty, student, or a staff member of FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, you can enter the library at any time by swiping your Panther ID card and will be given the full access to all library resources and services.
• Is the Medical Library open to the public?
Yes. Please let the library staff know by ringing a bell by the entrance door. The library staff will open the door for you. As the Medical Library serves primarily the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine of Florida International University, the use of some library resources, services, and facilities may be restricted to those affiliated with FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine.
• Who can use electronic resources available through the Medical Library web site?
Most of the electronic resources are available to the faculty, student, and staff of Florida International University with a currently valid Panther ID card both on-site and off-campus. A selected number of e-resources will be available to the faculty, student, and staff of FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine only, and a few resources will be accessible only on-site through the public-access computers inside the Medical Library.
Borrowing Library Materials
• How do I find out whether the Medical Library has a particular book, journal, or an article?
The books and journals available at the Medical Library can be searched at the FIU Libraries Online Catalog. If you need to look up a particular journal article, please try Citation Linker. The Medical Library also has some books that are not cataloged in the online catalog. Library users are welcome to browse all library materials on the library stacks. Please note that some library materials are allowed for use only inside the library. If you need to access materials on Course Reserves, please ask the library staff at the Help Desk.
• How do I check out library materials?
The library materials can be checked out at the Medical Library Help Desk near the entrance door with a currently valid Panther ID card. Only the Medical Library materials can be handled at the Help Desk. Please note that the library materials that belong to Green Library cannot be checked out or returned at the Medical Library Help Desk.
• How do I renew library materials?
The library materials can be renewed online at the My Account section of the FIU Libraries Online Catalog. The library staff will also be able to renew your borrowed items for you either in person at the library of by phone. Please note that you are allowed to renew borrowed library materials only a certain number of times. Contact the Medical Library Help Desk (305-348-1466) if you have any questions.
• How do I access electronic resources remotely outside the campus?
Go to the Medical Library web site and click the link for a particular e-resource that you would like to access. Enter your library account number and password when prompted. Please note that for the remote access, you need an active library account. If you have not done so already, please contact Green Library Circulation Desk (305-348-2451) or activate it online.
• I can't access electronic resources. Please Help.
Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot. If you still experience an issue after trying them, please contact Bohyun Kim, Digital Access Librarian.
- Your current Panther ID card is issued when you are hired or enrolled in a class at FIU.
- Activate your library card by either contacting Green Library Circulation Desk at 305-348-2451 or online.
- Identify the e-resource that you would like to access.
- If prompted, enter your 14-digit barcode number printed on the back of your Panther ID card. This is your library card number.
- After a successful log-in, if you still experience a problem, check the URL in your web browser.
- If the URL contains "ezproxy.fiu.edu" (e.g. http://accessscience.com.ezproxy.fiu.edu/xyz.html), you are successfully connected to FIU E-Resources via the FIU Proxy Server.
- The part, "ezproxy.fiu.edu", will be displayed only when you are accessing e-resources remotely outside the FIU campus.
- If you do not see ".ezproxy.fiu.edu" inside of your URL, then go to here (https://login.ezproxy.fiu.edu/login), log-in with the 14-digit library card number, and then navigate to the e-resource that you would like to access in the same web browser.
- Do not use any bookmarks that you have previously created in your browser as it may cause losing your connection to the FIU Proxy server.
• How do I find full-text articles online?
Full-text articles can be found using the Citation Linker. If a particular journal is available in an electronic format, you will see the journal in the result with the coverage range. If you are unable to locate an article you need either in an electronic nor in a print format in FIU Libraries, you can contact the library staff in order to request an interlibrary Loan service.
Using the Library
• How do I find a book or a journal that I need?
The books and journals available at the Medical Library can be searched at the FIU Libraries Online Catalog. If you need to look up a particular journal article, please try Citation Linker. The Medical Library also has some books that are not cataloged in the online catalog. Library users are welcome to browse all library materials on the library stacks. Please note that some library materials are allowed for use only inside the library. If you need to access materials on Course Reserve, please ask the library staff at the Help Desk.
• How do I find a study space?
The Medical Library has a number of study carrels available for private study. There is also a group study room where you can use a projector and a big screen connected to a computer. In order to use study carrels, the group study room, and other equipment including a projector and a laptop, ask help at the Help Desk (305-348-1466). Please note that these resources are available to those affiliated with FIU College of Medicine only. You will be asked to present your currently valid Panther ID card.
• How do I put materials on Course Reserve?
If you are an instructor teaching a class at FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please fill out the Course Reserve Request form. Allow 2-5 business days for the request to be processed. For more information, see here.
• Can I bring food and drinks into the library?
Drinks in a covered container and snacks are allowed in the Medical Library. No meals or drinks without a cover are allowed. Please understand that you are responsible for keeping your food and drinks from preventing others to use library resources and services. Please be courteous to others using the library with you and be sure to keep the space where you keep your food and drinks clean.
• How do I find help for my term/research papers?
The Medical Library provides help for the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine students in various ways for the classes, term papers, and research. If you need help with your papers, please contact the librarians using Ask A Librarian service. You can ask questions online and one of the librarians will get back to you in 24 hours. If you would like to meet for consultation in person, make an appointment either using the online form or by contacting the Help Desk (305-348-1466).
• How do I request a book or an article that is not available from FIU libraries?
If you are unable to locate a book, journal, or a journal article that you need either in an electronic nor in a print format in FIU Libraries, you can request an interlibrary Loan (ILL) service online. Please note that the interlibrary Loan service from the Medical Library is available to only those affiliated with FIU College of Medicine for medicine-related materials.
Questions and Comments
• How do I suggest items for library purchase?
Please submit your suggestions using Ask A Librarian. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
• I would like to send a question, comment, or a feedback on library service.
Please submit your question, comment, and/or feedback using Ask A Librarian. The Medical Library welcomes all questions, comments, and feedback on library resources, facilities, equipment, and services.