- Borrowing & Returning
- Cell Phones & Pagers
- Computers, Printers, and Photocopiers
- Copyright & Licensing
- Course Reserves
- Electronic Resources
- Food, Drink, and Smoking
- Gifts & Donation
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Loan Periods
- Other Equipment and Study Spaces
- Patrons with Disabilities
- The library provides resources and study space for primarily FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) students, faculty, and staff. The HWCOM students, faculty, and staff will be able to enter the library with their Panther ID cards at any time.
- For security purposes, the library entrance door will stay closed at all times.
- The library is open to the public for research on medical topics. Entrance to the library may be requested by ringing the bell next to the library door.
- The library users who are not affiliated with Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine are allowed in the library stacks area only and can use public access computers, printers, and photocopiers.
- The library's study carrels, group study rooms, and audiovisual equipments are reserved for the use of HWCOM students, faculty, and staff.
- The library's audiovisual equipments are for in-library use only.
- The library is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Do not leave personal belongings unattended at any time.
- Professional and respectful behavior, and compliance with policies, is expected at all times in the Medical Library. Medical student violators will be brought to the attention of the Executive Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
- The library reserves the right to ask anyone to leave who is disrupting the study atmosphere of the library or the work of other library users. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to: creating excessive noise, harassment of others, odor constituting a nuisance or health and safety concern, and behavior that disturbs users or staff and interferes with the use of the facility. Please report disruptive behavior to the Help Desk.
- A FIU Panther I.D. card or other types of identification will be required to borrow materials from the library. The following groups can check out library materials.
- FIU faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students
- Florida's public university/college students, faculty, and staff
- Individuals with a SEFLIN card
- For electronic resources' borrowing policies, see bleow Electronic Resources.
- See "Loan Periods" below for different types of library materials.
- There is no limit to the number of items a user may borrow.
- A library account needs to be activated in order to borrow library materials and to access many electronic resources. Contact the Circulation Desk of Green Library at (305) 348-2451. The library account activation request can also be submitted online.
- Medical Library materials must be returned to the book drop box next to the Medical Library's Help Desk. They should not be returned to the circulation desks of either Green Library or Law Library on the University Park campus or BBC Library on the Biscayne Bay campus.
- The book return slot at the University Library's Circulation Desk (2nd floor of the Green Library) or the outside book drop should not be used for Medical Library materials.
- An overdue item in your library account will cause the suspension of library privileges. A patron with overdue items won't be able to check out or renew library materials until those materials are returned to the library.
- If you need to use a library material that has been taken out, you can place a hold on the item on Library Catalog. You will be notified when the material is returned and will have 2 days to pick it up at the Help Desk.
- Materials checked out are subject to recall at any time, usually to be placed on course reserve. Once another library user or the library places a hold on the material you checked out, you will receive a Recall Notice. The Recall Notice will specify by the new due date.
- If you receive a Recall Notice, please return the recalled material immediately. Recalled materials may not be renewed.
- You can renew library materials you checked out either online through the Library Catalog or at the Help Desk. You can also request for renewal by phone (305-348-1466). You will be asked to provide your Panther ID card number.
- Some library materials are not allowed for renewal.
- Recalled materials are not allowed for renewal.
- All cell phones and pagers should be set to silent or vibrate. Calls should be made outside of the library building or in the stairwells.
- Because the library is a place for research and study, patrons are asked to reduce the level of noise caused by radios, walkman, MP3 players, IPods, and other intrusive sounds that are disruptive to other patrons and that earphones be used. Study rooms are available for group study.
- No personal file should be saved on the library's public access computers.
- All files saved on the library computers will be erased automatically.
- Files can be saved to personally-owned flash drives or CDs.
- Printing requires the purchase of a copy card, and incurs a charge per document page.
- Printing from a laptop to the photocopier, or to any public networked printer in the Green Library is enabled. Printing charges apply.
- Printer and computer problems should be reported to the Help Desk staff. Help Desk staff will refill printers and perform printer maintenance.
- Several additional printers are located throughout the Green Library and in ACH II Building.
- One photocopier is located in the Medical Library and several others are located throughout the Green Library and in ACH II Building.
- Printing requires the purchase of a copy card, and incurs a charge per document page.
- All library users must respect the copyrights for printed materials as well as for software and data accessible through computers throughout the Medical Library. No copyrighted work may be copied, published, disseminated, displayed, or played without permission of the copyright holder except in accordance with fair use or licensed agreement.
- These restrictions equally apply to electronic resources. Any commercial use and systematic downloading, copying, or distributing of information are prohibited. The Medical Library and the FIU University Library may terminate the network access of users who are found to have repeatedly infringed the copyright of others.
- Access to licensed electronic resources are restricted to members of the FIU community and to on-site users of FIU libraries for purposes of research, teaching, and private study. The access to a few resources may be restricted to the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine students, faculty, and staff.
- The library provides course reserve materials (hardcopy only) for HWCOM students and faculty only.
- Please submit all course reserves requests at least 30 days prior to the beginning of each semester to be made available for the first week of class. Allow 2 weeks for all requested materials to be processed.
- Materials will be removed at the end of each semester, or earlier at the request of the faculty member. Faculty members may request the removal of any reserve items anytime during the semester. In compliance with the Copyright Law, all materials must be removed or renewed at the end of each semester .
- Students can check out course reserves materials for two hours at the Help Desk. The materials must be returned to the Help Desk.
- For detailed instructions about how to place materials for your classes on course reserves, please see Library Services - Course Reserves.
- The Medical Library makes the best efforts in order to provide as wide access as possible to library users. Depending on the type of the resource and your affiliation with FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, you may or may not have access privileges to a particular resource. Please understand that the access privileges and restrictions to the library's online resources are determined by the licensing terms negotiated between the library and online resources vendors and commercial or scholarly publishers.
- These licensing terms should be abided by in order for the library to continue to provide access to these online resources and the library users should understand that the online resources are to be used for educational purposes only in support of teaching, learning, and research.
- All FIU faculty, staff, and students with a current Panther ID card can access licensed online databases and E-journals that are linked both from the FIU University Library web site and from the FIU Medical Library web site.
- The use of some electronic resources is restricted to FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine faculty, staff, and students only.
- All Kindle devices and Kindle e-books are available only to HWCOM faculty, students, and staff. Other FIU members can borrow Kindles, Kidle Fire, iPads, and Nook from Green Library.
- Some online resources may be available only at a select number of computers inside the Medical Library and not available off-campus.
- Those who are not affiliated with FIU but reside in Miami are encouraged to make use of the many online resources that the Miami-Dade Public Library provides.
- Downloading of entire issues of journals, conference proceedings, or data collections.
- Commercial use.
- Distributing and sharing of the information contents of the online resources, or material downloaded from the online resources without obtaining the copyright holder's agreement.
- Facilitating use or access by non-authorized users, including sharing your password or other login information with anyone.
Responsibility of Individual Users
The use of licensed online resources is governed by US copyright law and by licensing terms. Library users are responsible for their activities and accountable for their conduct while using the library's online resources. Please note that repeated misuse of licensed online resources may result in the loss of access to the entire FIU community as well as disciplinary actions on individuals.
- Most snack food (such as nuts and cookies) and drinks in covered containers are permitted.
- Food and drinks that are not in covered containers are not allowed inside the library.
- As a courtesy to other patrons, no food with strong odors such as pizza, fries, hamburgers should be brought into the library.
- Library users must clean up after themselves
- Please clean up any spills, use containers that minimize spills, and discard trash in trash cans.
- Smoking is prohibited inside the library and also in the entire area of Green Library building.
The HWCOM Medical Library appreciates those individuals who have donated resources to the Library. However, due to the fact that the Library is 95% electronic and is very limited in shelf space, the Library accepts only the last edition of published books that are in good condition and which fall within the scope of the collection. Since all of the library journal subscription is available online, the Library will no longer accept donations of volumes and/or issues of print journals.
If you are interested in donating your books and other types of resources related to medicine to the library, please contact Luda Dolinsky (305-348-0677).
- The library reserves the right to limit gifts to those which substantially benefit the library and are cost-effective to acquire, catalog, process, maintain, and preserve.
- The library assumes the ownership of all donations and reserves the right to add donated material to its collections, and to exchange, or discard them as appropriate.
- Appraisal and documentation of material for tax purposes is generally the responsibility of the donor. The library is unable to prepare lists of materials donated but will verify lists prepared by the donor.
- The library is legally unable to provide an estimated value of donated materials.
- An acknowledgement will be sent to the donor unless otherwise noted.
- Medical Library Donation Form (PDF)
- Medical Library's ILL services are available to FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine faculty, staff, and students only.
- Medical Library's ILL service is not open to members of the general public.
- FIU faculty, staff, and students who are not affiliated with FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine may utilize the University Library's ILL service.
- Interlibrary loan services are available Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm.
- ILL service is governed by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code); the policies and procedures of Florida International University, the University Library; the National Interlibrary Loan Code; and the International Lending Principles and Guidelines for Procedure.
- To request an article through ILL, complete and submit this ILL Article Request form or contact Duke Ingram (email@example.com; 305-348-9022). For more information, please see Interlibrary Loan Services.
- The Medical Library's ILL department strives to obtain requested materials as quickly as possible; however, the time it takes for materials to come in will depend on the Medical Library's ILL workload and the library where the materials coming from. Please allow 1-2 weeks for materials to arrive: all requested articles will be emailed in PDF files. Please note that items will only be emailed to valid FIU email addresses.
- If you are a borrowing library, please see our ILL lending policy for detailed information.
- 14 day check-out; one renewal.
- Medical Library materials can be renewed at the Medical Library Help Desk or over the phone (305-348-1466) or on Library Catalog.
- Only Medical Library materials can be checked out at the Medical Library Help Desk. Green Library materials must be checked out at the Green Library's Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the Green Library.
- Journals are for in-library use only and do not circulate.
Course Reserves Materials
- 2 hour check-out for in-library use; no renewals.
- 2 week check-out; no renewals.
Other (CD-ROMs & DVDs)
- 7 day check-out; 1 renewal.
- Medical student use only
- Cannot leave the library
- Must request at the Help Desk with a valid Panther ID card.
- Audiovisual equipment can be checked out for 2 hours at a time.
- Students will be responsible for the care of the audiovisual equipment.
Small Group Room
- Small Group Room may be used by students on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Room is intended for non-structured learning and studying, but not for classes or meetings.
- The Room may not be reserved by faculty or staff, with the exception of librarians who may utilize one room at a time for specialized library-related training.
- Medical Library users with physical disabilities may request assistance from Help Desk staff for entering the library or retrieving an item from the shelves.
- The University Library (Green Library) maintains computer workstations and special equipment for library users with visual and other types of disabilities.